There are several binders and polymers that can be used for creating products from sand and minerals. Some common options include:
- VAE as dry polymer powder. VAE is a copolymer of VAM & Ethylene. VAE is used in many adhesive and coating products as a binder. (Tile Adhesives, ETICS, packaging adhesives, levelling compounds, wall-paint) Technically, it can be based on biobased materials like Bio-acetic-Acid and Bio-ethylene. Today, it’s only available based on fossil ethylene and Bio-acetic-acid.
- Polymeric resins: Polymeric resins, such as epoxy, polyester, and polyurethane resins, can be used as binders for sand and minerals to create products like solid surface countertops, decorative tiles, and coatings. These resins are known for their excellent bonding properties, chemical resistance, and versatility.
- Geopolymers: Geopolymers are inorganic polymers that can be used as binders for sand and minerals to create products such as bricks, tiles, and panels. They are known for their low carbon footprint, high fire resistance, and excellent mechanical properties.
- Acrylic polymers: Acrylic polymers, such as polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) and acrylic emulsions, can be used as binders for sand and minerals to create products like solid surface materials, coatings, and adhesives. Acrylic polymers are known for their transparency, UV resistance, and good adhesion properties.
- Polymeric foams: Polymeric foams, such as expanded polystyrene (EPS) and polyurethane foams, can be used as binders for sand and minerals to create lightweight products such as decorative panels, insulation materials, and composite blocks. Polymeric foams are known for their low density, thermal insulation properties, and ease of shaping.
- Natural binders: Some natural binders, such as clay, lime, and starch, can also be used for creating products from sand and minerals. These binders are renewable, eco-friendly, and often used in applications where sustainability is a concern.
- Portland cement: Portland cement is a widely used binder in construction and can be mixed with sand and minerals to create a variety of products such as concrete blocks, bricks, and paving stones. It is known for its high strength and durability.
The choice of binder or polymer depends on the specific product requirements, desired properties, and application method. It is important to carefully consider factors such as strength, durability, environmental impact, and cost when selecting a binder or polymer for creating products from sand and minerals. Proper testing and evaluation should be conducted to ensure that the chosen binder or polymer is suitable for the intended use.