Improving seal adhesion of PLA (Polylactic Acid) sheets is important when using them for sealing applications. Here are some tips to improve the seal adhesion of PLA sheets:
- Use a PLA Compound, it can achieve higher shear strengths by adding for example VAE powder (DPP-VAE). DPP-VAE can be water solluble and therefore end products can still meet compostability regulations. VAE on it’s own is not yet fully biodegredeable. Biobased VAE is limited available.
- Clean the surfaces: Before sealing the PLA sheets, make sure to clean the surfaces thoroughly using isopropyl alcohol or a specialized cleaning solution. This will help to remove any dirt, oil, or other contaminants that could affect the adhesion.
- Increase temperature and pressure: When sealing PLA sheets, it is important to use high temperature and pressure to create a strong bond. The exact temperature and pressure will depend on the type of sealing method being used, but in general, higher temperatures and pressures will improve adhesion.
- Use a proper adhesive: Using a proper adhesive can help to improve the seal adhesion of PLA sheets. Some common adhesives for PLA include cyanoacrylate (super glue), epoxy, or specialized adhesives designed for use with PLA.
- Use a textured surface: Textured surfaces can help to improve adhesion between the PLA sheets and the adhesive. Consider using a textured surface or sanding the surface of the PLA sheets to create a better bond.
- Use a primer: Some primers, such as acrylic or vinyl primers, can help to improve the adhesion of PLA sheets. Applying a thin layer of primer to the surface of the PLA sheets before applying the adhesive can help to create a stronger bond.
By following these tips, you can improve the seal adhesion of PLA sheets and create strong, reliable seals.